Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Discipline Diaries (day 2)

Happy Rainy Day!

Left for class this morning oblivious to the fact that it was raining. I rushed back between classes to exchange soaked loafers and wet hair for rain boots and a baseball cap. I realized how quickly I turn my wants into needs. I don't think there's anything sinful about wanting to not get wet between classes, but the amount of importance I put on it is unnatural. I take advantage of the fact that I can wear rain boots, a coat, use an umbrella, and so on.

Eighty percent of the world lives on less than $2 a day! So many people are starving right now, or dying from the heat, or getting rained on at night because they don't have good shelter. Yet I can't walk to class in a light rain because I'm a little uncomfortable. I don't think it's sinful, but I think this kind of thinking can be. It's dangerous to think you deserve to be comfortable all the time. It's dangerous if something as small as a little rain affects my ability to be glad in God always. This kind of thinking is not Christ-like because Jesus came to Earth to live an uncomfortable life leading up to the most painful and humiliating death. All for a people like me who feel entitled to their GIFTS from God, with hearts focused on themselves. It's just mind blowing to me. So that's what I dwelled on this morning as I gratified my desire for rain boots.

Now I just need to understand what to do in response to my self serving heart. Do I sell all that I have and give it to the poor? Probably. But I'm gonna take baby steps because that scares me. Something needs to change, I know that much. So I'm working on discipline to not gratify my wishes and especially not treat them as if they are necessities. I can't wait to see how God makes me less selfish and more giving, for HIS glory.

My little successes in discipline today are as follows.

I was tempted to skip my class after I'd gone back to the dorm for rain boots, but God gave me the discipline to go. Praise the Lord!

I eventually had meaningful time with God! (Took my a little while to sit down and open that life giving book, but I did it! I'll share more about that in my next post.)

I sat in Radinas (without purchasing anything!) and read part of a boring history assignment instead of rushing to lunch. Yay for productivity!

Still rocking basic hygiene.

Also! My dear friend Kaitlyn is joining me in this week of discipline! It's great to have friends who want to give their absolute best to The Lord, who will ask for accountability, and who will encourage me in my endeavors too! So excited for how The Lord will use this for his glory in both of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment