Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Discipline Diaries (day 1 part 1)

Happy Tuesday!

{My discipline update for today was getting really long, so I split it into two parts. Here is part one which deals with the idea of expectant prayer. Next post will be about how my day of discipline went.}

The idea of praying expectantly came up in my Bible study group last night. This idea has stuck with me since this summer when my friends got back from summer camp after hearing a great speaker teach on this. Wish I could give him credit, but I don't recall his name. In short, he explained that we shouldn't only pray expectantly on mission trips where we expect big things to happen. We need to always trust that the Lord wants to do big things in our lives every day.

One of my leaders added to this idea by reflecting on how we tend to pray safe. By this she meant that we ask God to do something, but we always end by saying something along the lines of, "but if its not your will, that's okay". At first I was slightly bothered by her comment. I thought of course we should pray with phrases like "if it is your will" because we need to be able to accept that his plans may be different than ours but they are always better. As I pondered her comment more, I realized that although it is good to not put your will above Gods, maybe we do pray too safely. Maybe we use that as an excuse to not trust that God will answer our prayers. Along with all these things, we don't pray repetitively. We don't plead with God. At least I don't. I ask for something, close with "Lord willing" and go on with my day thinking sure it'd be cool if he answered my prayer, but no matter what I know he will work things out for my good and his glory. These aren't bad thoughts, but am I limiting God's ability to work wonders in my heart and life? Am I keeping him from answering prayer by failing to truly pray and seek answered prayers?

One more example of radical prayer because these girls are so full of wisdom and I'm dying to share. Someone shared a story about a roommate of hers who had a headache. In response, this woman suggested she take an Advil. But the roommate replied, "I think I'm just gonna pray". The woman thought to herself how silly, just take an Advil! But after consideration, she realized how much trust we put in modern medicine and how little trust we put in God. Seems crazy when you think that God is the creator of everything and is able to do extraordinary things. Yet medicine is prone to fail, especially in comparison to God's perfect record. 

Here's a Biblical example of expectant prayer that my sweet friend Kaitlyn brought up.

And he said, "O  Lord ,  God of my master Abraham,  please grant me success today and show steadfast love to my master Abraham.  Behold,  I am standing by the spring of water, and the daughters of the men of the city are coming out to draw water.  Let the young woman to whom I shall say, "Please let down your jar that I may drink," and who shall say, "Drink, and I will water your camels"—let her be the one whom you have appointed for your servant Isaac.  By this  I shall know that you have shown steadfast love to my master." (Genesis 24:12-14 ESV)

How much more trust would I need to have in The Lord to pray like this? So specific. So expectant. And if you keep reading you'll see God answered it! I want to have this attitude towards prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment