Saturday, July 13, 2013

NOLA Saturday (the drive home)

1:33pm- Today has not gone as planned... This kind of thing has become more regular for us than things happening on schedule. Flex n Flow. Today we pulled out a little late around 8:30. I ride in the bat-mobile (black van). Our van leads the group. Dusty, the OBC youth pastor, was driving. A cop car swings in front of and we swerve to not hit him. We keep driving, and realize that the vans behind us weren't as successful. Two cops had stopped on the highway to help a minivan on the side of the road. Our drivers tried to stop, swerved, and kind of ran into each other. I don't understand the details, it was just a pile up. Everyone was fine! God's hand was on us for sure. Just like God's hand is on us always.

We waited anxiously in the black van as they got everything sorted out. Since the cops kind of caused the accident, they were in a convenient location to help us get everything sorted out.

We are grateful for Mark, the first driver behind us who swerved, because without that action, things would've been worse. The back doors won't open in the cargo van but it's good enough to drive home. The white passenger van wasn't good enough to drive home so we rented 2 cars for the white van kids. 

Here's the cool part of the story where I saw God redeem a seemingly frustrating and scary situation. We went back to the hotel to wait on the leaders who were working everything out and renting new transportation. We sat in the outside breakfast area. Some of the sophomore boys along with their leaders, Spencer and Ian (and fellow KSU sophomores), presenting a great idea. They expressed their disappointment that we didn't have time during the week to have a night of worship, prayer, and communion like OBC usually does. They said we have time now, so lets sing a few songs, get in groups to pray, and we have bagels and grape juice for communion. Phil Sperling, a sophomore boy, stood up and told a story about a conversation he and a leader were having just that morning. They were trying to figure out a way to squeeze in some worship and communion. They couldn't figure anything out! The leader said, " I feel like we will have a flat tire or something, maybe God will make time for us." It was so cool to hear that story as we were all gathered together with hours to kill before we could get back on the road. God had made time for something far more important and eternally significant than arriving in KC before 7pm. 

I loved seeing the leadership in those boys! They saw an opportunity and seized it! I was pleasantly surprised. They displayed their love for God despite circumstances. It was cool to see them esteeming God so highly. He deserves it, and I'm glad these boys saw that and passionately pursued that. They made Jesus look great and ourselves look less. It blessed me a lot. It got even better though! After that time, some students wanted to continue worshipping God. So they sat down and began to sing, the group grew, Spencer joined in with his guitar and we worshipped for at least 30 extra minutes. It was beautiful. These kids have given their hearts over to Jesus. Their actions reflect that. God has gifted many of them with leadership as well. It's awesome! I can't wait for some of the seniors to be living by me at KSU soon! I'm blessed to know them and grateful for their fellowship. I wish I could do this internship forever. 

We eventually left for lunch and we left for OBC around 1:00pm. We should get in between 11 and 12 tonight.

3:51pm- We just made our first stop at a gas station. A woman smoking outside heard us talking about vbs and our mission trip and she motioned me over to her. Her name escapes me but it started with A. She asked for my name and then started telling me about her son steven who is a schizophrenic. A was asking me to pray for him and that he could be closer to her (he's 45 minutes away) because she never sees him. She told me her daughter doesn't have a relationship with her. Her husband died last year and her parents have died in the last 5 years. Her husband was her rock. She has health problems and feels so lost right now and misses him praying for her. She works at the gas station. I asked if I could pray for her there. She tossed her cigarette and grabbed my hands. She cried through our prayer.

{Dear Lord, thank you for answering my prayers and giving me opportunities and the words to speak. I've been able to pray for people who I wouldn't usually be praying for. I felt her looking at us and I felt a push to talk to her but I just smiled and nodded my head if she said something. Thank you Lord for fulfilling your plans for my day even when I worked against them. I'm so grateful for your intervention in our lives. It's all because of you that she approached me. Grow me so that I can seize opportunities rather than needing them baby fed to me.}

--Prayer for A--
{Heal all the hurt in A's heart. I ask that you would do miraculous things in her life! I know you are able. So I ask you to heal her son, mend their relationship, mend the relationship between A and her daughter. Comfort A and give her strong people around her to lift her up. Ease the pain of loneliness with the joy of your salvation and companionship.} 

8:15pm- We are just now leaving braums in Springfield! We have 3 more hours until we get to OBC. I've slept through very loud music in a passenger seat. I'm so tired that I can't help but fall asleep. I don't make a decision to sleep, it just happens. I finished Alter Ego! I'm gonna leave Job and Rule of Life for tomorrow. I have a long to do list for this week. Looking forward to being productive and hanging with some cool cats!

No comments:

Post a Comment