Monday, July 8, 2013

NOLA Monday

8:32am- My word for today is power. The word power comes from Acts 1:8, our memory verse for the trip. "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere- in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." God is the Creator of everything, he controls everything, and he has called me to reach people for him. If our God is for us, then who could ever stop us? I don't share the good news of Jesus because it's awkward or I don't want to be rejected, but that's not what I'm called to. I don't have anything to be afraid of. So, my goal for today is that I would remember that through the Holy Spirit, I am given power and with great power comes great responsibility right? My responsibility is to share my faith. My hope is that Jesus would shine through me to make others desire God or grow deeper in their relationship with him. 

12:13pm- One of the high schoolers just came up to me very concerned about the way her belly button felt and asked if she could feel mine to see if mine felt the same way... Of course I said yes. Oh the things high schoolers say. I love the way that she asked me because when she asked she didn't seem to think her question was unordinary at all. 
The same high schooler also told another leader that she brought a kerig with her to NOLA. So funny! This girl cracks me up. 

NOLA change of plans update. We are really using our trip motto: Flex n Flow! We came thinking that we would do a vbs for small kids in the morning and work projects in the afternoon. Lunch would be provided by the church the vbs was in and dinner would be in New Birth church and prepared by our wonderful cooking crew, Erica, Spencer, and Ian. We found out on Sunday night (last night) that our children's vbs was actually for kids ages 13-15. So everyone got into their groups (drama, music, story, etc.) and made their original plans more age appropriate. When we showed up this morning, we found out they weren't expecting us and planned other things instead that we couldn't interrupt. So, vbs is no more. We will work all day for the rest of the week. Lunches will now need to be provided by us. And apparently New Birth (where we eat dinner) is doing a vbs in the evenings, so we will eat dinner with the families who participate in that and then help with their vbs until 8pm. Our days are going to be very long.

6:26pm- We just got back from dinner. Some of the yummiest vegetables I've had! Meals here are so great! Today my van (sophomore boys and senior girls) did demolition in a church. Hurricane Isaac ruined the walls and ceiling on the inside, so we tore down sheet rock, swept up the mess, and took out lots of nails. I mostly swept all day. It was fun work and nice to be inside and not burning in the sun. We checked on the community garden progress before dinner and it looks awesome! They have cleared the lot of weeds and tall grass and have already started tilling the land. I hope that someone does good upkeep on this garden so we don't labor in vain. I'd love for it to be everything they hope it to be and that it can serve its purpose for a long time. 

11:44pm- It's late, but I had an awesome time worshiping and sharing with the group, A teams was awesome. I love the hearts of the sophomore girls. I desire their enthusiasm. Talking with Erica before bed was a blessing too. I seriously love this girl! She is so tender hearted and gentle. She is a great listener. She loves Jesus and her life reflects his even when it's difficult. I wish I did a better job of making her feel appreciated and cared about on a regular basis. I'm hoping to learn how to show her love better. Not cause its hard to love her! But because I'm not great at showing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment