Saturday, June 1, 2013

Summer Craft Goals and Dorm Projects

After some intense pinterest-ing, blog searching, idea dwelling, and mental to-do lists, my brain is full of wonderful plans. I love the idea of craft projects, especially when it involves making something new and fresh out of something old and dull. Rarely do I ever start these projects though. I love this blog because it encourages me to write down my ideas and it adds motivation to actually complete what I set out to accomplish.

For the dorm, we want to be really crafty! Some of our big ideas include...

  • A pretty window sill with vases and potted flowers (and maybe a fish in a fish bowl).
  • A photo wall with our pictures displayed in different ways.
  • A braided rug made by ourselves with fabric that matches our color scheme.

We met the other day and bought some of our materials and painted pots for our window sill.

Left to right: Sarah, Morgan, Kaitlyn

After they left, I was still in a crafty mood. So I painted these bottles for vases. Can't wait to fill them with flowers!


To paint these types of bottles, you pour paint directly inside. Then you flip them upside down; you have to work with them some. Shaking all the paint to the bottom, then to one side, and tipping the bottle so the paint covers one section at a time helped me. When the inside is fully coated, tip them upside down and set them in a cup or somewhere where the excess paint can drain. I only let them drain for about 20 minutes, no need to leave them for hours. Wait a week before putting water inside them so that the paint has had time to dry entirely.

For my bulletin board, I gathered up some cool old buttons and superglued tacks to the back of them. I'm pleased with how they turned out! Some buttons have weird back that are hard to superglue anything to. Something to keep in mind.


As far as other summer projects go, I want to...

Punch holes in my letters I want to keep, put rings in them and make them into a small book so that they are easier to store and have all in one place.
Fabric the front of my old suitcase.
Make my own stud earring holder.
Make my own clutch from a pin I saw on Pinterest.
Make my own high wasted shorts.
Improve my sowing skills and fix some of my clothes that need some help. I want to be as good as my mama one day.
I also have an old cushioned folding chairs I've always wanted to fix up.

That's all I could think of to craft for now. Looking forward to more roomie craft dates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment